Thursday, August 24, 2023

Tsukiji Outer market and Asakusa

 

Good morning.  Konichiwa.  We are ready to go!!


Right off the bat, we saw this fruit lady.  There was a man shopping from her and this tourist was getting in the way and the shop owner snapped at the tourist.  The little Thai girl got upset and stomped away with her man.  Kambiz started to get worried about the shop lady's mood.  But I was not.  She finished.  I politely said “sumimasen!” (Excuse me).  She looked at me.  I said “ohayou gozaimasu” (formal and polite good morning). I pointed to the fig and said 1.  She was so happy she even let me pick which one i wanted, though I said it was up to her.  She even taught me how to say fig too.   Just remember, people have their customs, their rituals.  Your rush is not their problem.  I enjoyed my little old lady. And my figs.  My favorite fruit.  Which reminds me….mom….get me that fig tree!!

Hot delicious tomago



I have to say, I was highly disappointed with Tsukiji.   Partly it has become too touristy and partly Hokkaido morning markets spoiled us.  

We did see an old spot and jumped in for a quick snack. 



Honestly, all we wanted was the smelt.  But it wasn’t like 10 years ago.  The sushi guy agreed.   So we had our 3 little pieces and left.   Weird start to our day but we are ok.  Because we finally filled our Suica cards.   Long story but we had suica cards from 10 or 14 years ago, loaded them onto our phones, had 500yen on it so we used it for 2 metro rides.  Came to fill the card and apple pay won’t work.  There’s a problem with visa. So I’ve been in search of a touch less machine at any station. Mostly out of order.   Finally, our own station Shimbashi has the touch less machine. We put our iPhones in the machine, it read it and we filled it using cash.  1,2,3 done.  Now we can just tap our phone through our bags to go in and out of all public transportation.   You think it will save my feet?  No it will not, but it helps.   
We took a 30 minute ride to the other side of town and did some fun shopping. 
But first look how cute the bike lane sign is.  

View of the day. 

When you are really close to Sensoji Temple but don’t make it there because your feet hurt from shopping and you’re hungry and you’ve seen it 3x in the past.  (This will be an ongoing Tokyo theme) 





I don’t think I’ve ever eaten my soba this fast before.   The shop was owned by …you guessed it, a husband and wife.  Their son came to eat there with his wife.  It was really cute.  And the wife gave me a pointer for this thing to buy for my flyaway hairs.  The best $3 I’ve ever spend. 

The rest of the day is a bit of a blur.  Came back to the room.  Went back out to Uniqlo.  Bought nothing.  Came back and showered. Then went to this yakitori place. Well.  Everything I tried to order was sold out.   We kinda ate nothing.  But these French fries actually made the night.  

And the fried onions were really good. 

I don't like green peppers and they usually hurt my stomach but it was really delicious in Japan and didn't seem to bother me.  At least this type didn't.  



We came back to the hotel for our “free drink”.  It was worth the view. 

Tokyo tower view


But that’s not all.  I made Kenny go out for a Lawsons run with me.  (Which I’ve decided should be a ritual). 
I know.  Fruit sandwich.  Yuck.  Nope.  Actual yum!!! It was soooo good.  Notice the ice cream   Just saying!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Last day and thoughts.

 We packed really quick and had breakfast before heading out   I wish we planned for 5 hours at Haneda   Not 3  so if you go  plan for more ...